Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Power of Snail Mail

Moving far away usually means you're leaving the most important people in your life. At least that's what it meant for me. Moving to New Orleans meant leaving my family and friends I have grown up with. It's hard to leave those people behind especially when you've never known life without them.

I attended College just 45 minutes away from my parents and friends. I went home on random weekends to visit. I was never far away, so 1,000 miles of separation is HUGE.

When Jake left for bootcamp, we were not allowed to speak over the phone. We could write letters and that was it. Being part of a generation that relies heavily on social media has truly ruined me. Jake and I have been talking on the phone, texting, sending bbm's, e-mailing, Facebooking, and speaking face to face for the last several years. Writing letters was going to be so lame.

I no longer believe that last statement. I firmly believe that writing letters is a lost art. For eight weeks, Jake and I wrote letters. We wrote about how much we missed seeing each other, what was new in life, how bootcamp was...etc. It was so exciting to come home everyday and see if he had written me. I cried the first time he sent a letter. It was four pages filled with tons of information about his new life and everything he was experiencing. It was exciting.

Sending and receiving letters does something wonderful to the human spirit. It makes even the worst day seem amazing when you open the mailbox to find that someone loves you enough to take time out and write you a letter. Do it. It will keep you connected with family and friends in ways you never imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment